Artificial Insemination in Allen, TX
Intrauterine insemination (IUI), or artificial insemination, is another type of assisted reproduction offered by DFW Center for Fertility & IVF in Allen, TX. Unlike in vitro fertilization, where both the sperm and the egg are outside the body when fertilized, only the spermatozoa are collected externally. This procedure can work for couples with unexplained infertility, minimal male factor infertility, and women with cervical mucus problems.
Before IUI, Dr. Beshay evaluates you for hormonal imbalance, infection or any structural problems. Then, insemination is performed within 24 to 36 hours after the surge of natural hormones is detected during ovulation, or after taking a hormone injection. Ovulation can be predicted by a urine test kit, or blood test and ultrasound.
When you choose to use your partner’s sperm for conception, he will supply a sample that is specially prepared for artificial insemination. The lab cleanses the sperm of semen material that might cause adverse reactions in the uterus. IUI may also use specially prepared donor sperm.
IUI may be used in conjunction with ovulatory medications, such as clomophine citrate, or gonadotropins. If ovulation drugs are injected during an IUI cycle, we monitor your condition with periodic blood tests and ultrasounds. These tests indicate when eggs are mature, prompting the HCG trigger shot.
IUI is a relatively quick procedure that is performed in the doctor’s office without need for anesthesia. It should not be painful, although some patients report mild discomfort.
Questions to Ask About Artificial Insemination
- Will a hysterosalpingogram be done to assess fallopian tubes before IUI?
- Which ovulatory stimulating drugs will be given, if any?
- How will the clinic determine timing of insemination?
- How many inseminations will be done per cycle? How many hours apart?
- Where will the semen sample be collected?
- Will the fertility specialist evaluate and report the quality of the sperm sample before and after the processing?
- Will the lab use more than one ejaculation per insemination?
- Does the clinic use frozen donor sperm prepared for IUI?
- Who will do the insemination procedure?
- How long should you lie down after insemination?
- When is it safe to have intercourse after IUI?
- How many cycles of IUI does the doctor recommend before trying another option?
Contact us online or call 469-854-0305 for your consultation with Allen fertility specialist Dr. Beshay to find out more about artificial insemination (IUI) and other infertility treatments.